It all depends on what you are looking for from the SIM card connection when you travel to Canada. We list the pros of activating international roaming on your phone.
You decide to buy a local SIM card for your Canada holiday. Local SIM cards are often cheaper than international roaming plans. The card is usable only in a local zone, and the costs are calculated for local usage only. Plus, you can get a variety of local plans and packs at easy rates.
However, you cannot be certain of what exactly you are paying for. How can you check how much data is available on the card, or if you have used as much as the card provider indicates? What about the network connection quality? How much data do your apps take on the card, and how much can you save?
Plus, there is the hassle of inserting a new card every time you buy it.
The pros of taking international roaming for your Canada visit
Canada is one of the most popular visitor destinations, and almost every major mobile service provider has international roaming plans that work in that country.
- You are better off activating an international roaming plan for Canada on your current connection, than taking a local SIM card. The latter might not work in every region, for example, when you move from Vancouver to Montreal. In this case, you will have to remove the earlier SIM card and take a fresh one – this is both cumbersome and expensive. But if you have an Airtel prepaid international roaming pack on your phone, you don’t need to touch the SIM card even once. Just continue using the phone even when you leave Indian borders.
- The Airtel international prepaid roaming pack is simple enough to activate. Unlike a local SIM card, for which you must go to a local vendor in the foreign country, fill out an application, surrender a copy of your personal ID or local contact address, you can easily buy the prepaid international pack online while you are still in India. Buy the pack you want, and specify the activation date. Now sit back and let the company activate the pack as per your instructions.
- In case there are any connection glitches or any other SIM-related issues, your mobile service provider back home is easier to contact, than the local service provider from whom you took the local SIM card.
- Some services you use in India, such as banking and food apps, are linked with your debit/credit card and your Indian phone number. Though you may use your debit/credit card internationally, you will not receive SMS alerts on your local SIM card. You can get these alerts only when you are using your Indian number internationally.
- You must convey your local number to your friends and family back home, and they must take care to save it correctly. But if you activate Airtel prepaid international roaming or a roaming plan from another provider, then your number remains the same and nobody needs to record your temporary contact coordinates.